CMS created the Merit based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) and the program began on January 1, 2017. SIX years later, many aspects have changed, yet many of the basic features are still the same.
First and foremost, you always want to check your eligibility on the QPP website. This will determine whether you need to participate for a certain performance year. NOTE: Your eligibility can change during the year. Learn more about how eligibility can change here.
For 2023 participation, there are 3 different ways to report MIPS data:
- Traditional MIPS – measured across 4 areas – quality, improvement activities, Promoting Interoperability, and cost
- Alternative Payment Model (APM) Performance Pathway – only available to eligible clinicians in an APM
- NEW MIPS Value Pathways – 2023 will begin voluntary MVP and subgroup reporting (see timeline)
Your final score determines the payment adjustment applied to your Medicare Part B claims. Your payment adjustment amount is determined by the performance threshold based on your final score. The performance threshold is 75 points for the 2023 performance year/2025 payment year, which means that eligible clinicians with a 2023 Final Score of 75 points or higher will avoid a negative payment adjustment in the 2025 payment year. The performance threshold did not change from the 2022 performance year.
- March 3, 2023 – Deadline to complete the 2022 Performance Year Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Application
- March 31, 2023 – Deadline to report for the 2022 Performance Year
- Late Spring/Early Summer 2023 – 2022 Performance Year Final Score Preview Will be Available
- March 31, 2024 – Deadline to report for the 2023 Performance Year
For complete information on MIPS visit: https://qpp.cms.gov/
How MediSYS can help!
Are you overwhelmed with MIPS? Are your Eligible Providers being penalized?
Let MediSYS help by alleviating the burden. With MediSYS MIPS Assistance your clinic will be assigned a MIPS expert to guide you through this everchanging process. Monthly review of assigned measures
will be reviewed and reports provided as needed. MIPS assist also includes guidance for eligible professionals to boost their participation in applicable measures selected just for them.
2022 MediSYS MIPS Assistance sign up window is closed, however if you need ATTESTATION ONLY MIPS Assistance, it is not too late. Deadline for 2022 Attestation Only MIPS Assistance is March 15th, 2023.
2023 MediSYS MIPS Assistance is now open for clients to sign up for a full year monitoring and reporting. Let MediSYS take the burden of monthly monitoring off your shoulders.
MediSYS clients, fill out the MIPS Assistance form located on the MediSYS Intranet. Reminder, the intranet is full of valuable resources and information to help our clients. If you need assistance locating the form on the intranet, please contact MediSYS Support.
For more information contact us!
See us at MGMA AL Winter Conference on March 1-3rd at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham!